Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Random Happenings

November has been a low key month for us compared to October, so I don't have much report. I thought I'd post some of the uneventful and random things that have been going on.
First of all, we have this lovely chandelier. I know this chandelier is strange, but give it a chance, I think it will grow on you. When I first saw it a few months ago in the Pottery Barn catalog, I loved it because it is so unusual, and I pictured putting it above my kitchen table, but I received mixed reviews on it. My house is very traditional, but I'm also feeling like it's BORING! I need some change! Although this light fixture is industrial, I think it's ok to sometimes mix an eclectic or contemporary piece with traditional furniture. I'd forgotten about this piece until I watched Oprah today (which the last two shows on anti-aging and de cluttering your house have been great, by the way! Also, if you go to Oprah.com you can get a code for 20% off anything at the Container Store.), and Candace Olsen from Divine Design on HGTV, used this light fixture in one of the room makeovers she did. It looked awesome and I figure if Candace likes it, it's a must have! :) What do you think? If only it wasn't so expensive! I wish I could convince Travis that we "need" it.

BEFORE
As I said, I've felt like I've needed some change. After living in our house for 6years, some things need to be re-done. One of these things was getting rid of the carpet in our bathroom, which I've wanted to do for years!! A few weeks ago, Travis and his dad started the process for placing tile in our bathroom. We thought the project would be easy because it's such a small space, but like most home improvement projects, it was much more difficult, time consuming and expensive than we thought and hoped it would be. We even put heated coils under the tile which is a special treat and the boys love it too. The project is not completely finished since I've decided that I'd like to use the tile for baseboards. Travis isn't thrilled about the idea, so it may take awhile, but at least the toilet is out of the shower! :) Next we've decided we'd like to try slate in the boys bathroom with the heated coils underneath and then install laminate flooring downstairs to get rid of the carpet that makes me sick every time I look at it!
AFTER



My newest Thanksgiving aquisition: Tom the Turkey!!! Thanksgiving decorations are kind of boring compared to Halloween, so I was very excited to find Tom at one of my favorite stores in St. Georege-Krumpets! He was also 50% off! It was not an easy task for my parents to load him in their car and then ship him to me; it was definitely evidence of their love! :) Thanks mom and dad!
For some reason I think this picture is hilarious! As a dental hygienist, these "bloody gums" as we call them, make me cringe! Talk about a severe case of gingivitis! The boys receieved these beautiful teeth for Halloween and frequently ask me to help put them on. This picture is to help motivate you to keep brushing and flossing for healthy teeth and gums, and to see your hygienist and dentist every 6 months!!

9 comments:

Clara said...

I personally love the light fixture. Why does Pottery Barn always have to have the coolest but yet most expensive stuff!? :(

Your turkey is adorable as well. I'm sure Travis is loving all the Thanksgiving decorations now! :)

As for the teeth, I hope my teeth never get that bad but I am horrible about flossing and now without dental insurance it has been way too long since we have seen a dentist. Hopefully someday soon!

Bybee family said...

Thanks, Clara! And yes, Travis always loves it when I bring home more decorations.
Your teeth will never look like that! I should have put a little asterik at the bottom that said *"This does not apply to you if you don't have dental insurance!" It's just way too expensive.

Megan said...

I'm liking the light fixture, and I can totally picture it over your table.
I also LOVE the turkey! I was just thinking I NEED some Thanksgiving decore....maybe I can convince Sean of a road trip to St. George.

Coombs Family said...

I think you should get the light fixture. It is awesome and so unique. Tom is looking nice infront of your house. Good find.

Coombs Family said...

The boys look reall cute in their photos Melanie took. I love the outfits.

The Carter Family said...

I absolutely LOVE the lighting fixture!!!! It is so awesome!!! The turkey is SO cute!!!! I want one like that! It's adorable!!! and I'm so loving the boys with the "bloody gums" hahahaha it's hillarious!!!

Kameron said...

That light fixture looks cool, Nicole. I haven't seen it in the magazine yet. And Tom the Turkey is pretty cool - can't beat 50% off!!

Jonna said...

I like really unique things too, but the rest of my family just says, "mom, that's a little too weird, don't you think?"

The Newsom Family said...

Love the fixture--go for it!