OBITUARYH. GAIL VOORHEES Visit Guest Book
H. Gail Voorhees 1921 ~ 2010 H. Gail Voorhees, husband, father, grandfather, and great-grand-father, passed away on May 5, 2010 in Holladay, Utah, at the age of 88, of causes incident to age. He was born on June 24, 1921 in Manti, Utah to Henry and Aileen Voorhees. He married Earlene Christensen on July 14, 1952 in the Manti LDS Temple. Gail was best known for his beautiful gardens. He was a sports fanatic, and starred in track and basketball in college. He had a sharp wit and was a great storyteller. He earned an accounting degree from BYU, and an MBA from NYU. He served as an officer in the Navy in World War II, and built a successful manufacturers' representative business. He is survived by his children; Greg (Billie), Lou Ann Thompson (Michael), Kathy Lloyd (Terry), Christy Allen (Wayne), 10 grandchildren, seven great-grandchildren and two on the way. He is also survived by three brothers: Neil, Don, and Doug Voorhees. He was preceded in death by his eternal companion Earlene, sisters Renee and Ruby, and brothers Lynn and Ivan. Funeral Services will be held on Monday, May 10, 2010 at noon in the Holladay 8th Ward Chapel, 5450 S. Holladay Boulevard. Friends and Family may call one hour prior to the service. Interment at the Holladay Memorial Cemetery, 4900 Memory Lane, Holladay, Utah. The Family wishes to thank the many employees of The Highland Care Center, who loved and cared for Gail since October 2006, following a debilitating stroke, "Mr. 134" and our family couldn't have done it without you! We love you dad and though we dearly miss you, we rejoice that you and mom are together once again!
Published in Salt Lake Tribune from May 8 to May 9, 2010
Occasionally my roommates would come down for the weekend for a bit of an escape too. At times I worried I was imposing on him, but if I didn't come down, the next time I saw him he'd say that he'd missed my visit and he always stock the freezer with my favorite frozen yogurt. Since we both have a sweet tooth he'd usually by some sort of treat at the bakery and he'd get us dinner at Meirer's Chicken. I'd never spent so much time with Papa before, and I loved it. He shared lots of stories, we kept each other company and his home was a place of refuge for me. I will be forever grateful to him for that and for the time we spent together.
2 comments:
Beautiful post, Nicole. What a wonderful tribute to your grandpa.
I love all of your pictures!!! It's so fun to hear your memories too, I love them all. I remember loving when you went to college at byu and you'd come to doni and papa's since I was always there, it gave me something to look forward to!! Do you remember the time we went to some store to get my stupid goldfish a bowl, and travis was with us, and the clerk asked if I was your daughter, and you almost cried? haha ohh good memories!! along with when doni would trap me in my bed with chairs and you and travis would have to come and save me from the cage? haha :)
Post a Comment