Saturday, September 18, 2010

September

Holden's First Day of 3's Preschool
Warning!!! Very long posts ahead. I don't know how, but the rest of the summer became crazy and I couldn't seem to find the time to keep up my blog. I also finally joined facebook and found out why it appeals to everyone. Anyway, I wanted to document what's been going on, here's my attempt.

As you can tell from the pictures, Holden was VERY excited about his first day of preschool. He has the same teacher he did for his pre 3's class and he LOVES her! I couldn't even get him to hold still long enough for a decent picture.

Running to his classroom. I've been a bit overwhelmed from a bunch of different things going on, and it's caused me to have memory failure and difficulty keeping track of the day to day stuff. Generally I glance at my calendar for the day and can keep it straight. Not the case with the second week back to school. I took Holden to school 30 min early, took Carson to piano 15 min early, and was then 5 min late for parent time at the end!! I'm becoming that parent that people talk about!! . So embarrassing! I digress....

Even though we were early, and caught Mrs. Kimble eating lunch, she let me get a picture of her with Holden.
This is part of the reason Holden was so excited to return to school, the infamous green garbage truck.
Trav Turns 32!
It is seriously annoying having a husband that looks so young. When people asked Travis how old he was turning, they couldn't believe he is 32. Most of them guessed he was in his mid 20's. People probably wonder why he's with this old maid. We were able to sneak out for dinner and the kids were asleep by the time we got home so we had the cake all to ourselves.:)
The Not Meant to be Marathon

I've always wanted to run a marathon, and when I found out the Portland marathon was on 10/10/10, I knew I had to do it. I thought it would be a good way to celebrate my 33rd birthday, and get myself into shape 1 year after having Stella. I convinced Travis to do this too, and have loved his company while training. What I thought was a good idea, has proved otherwise, I've had one obstacle after another. As one of my friends said, it's almost as if I'm not supposed to do this. I didn't want to sign up for the marathon until I thought we could possibly do it. After week 11 out of 18, when we did our 15 miler and I decided we might as well sign up. When I went to sign up it was full!! A race that has never sold out! I was so bummed. I'd invested all this time and energy and didn't want it to be for nothing. I put an ad on Craigslist and got Travis an entry and I decided to run for charity. One problem solved. Earlier in the training I bruised the bottom of my foot I could hardly walk on it for days and after our 16 miler my knee felt funky. Long story short, I couldn't run on it for more than 10 minutes without it killing me. After 3 friends recommended I see the best sports doctor in town as my last hope of being able to run, I decided to see him. Turns out I have an IT band injury and with not much time left started therapy right away. I've now experienced the very painful Graston technique where they rub this dull metal instrument up and down the injured area to break down scar tissue. I don't bruise easily, but man did I bruise and it was so sore to touch. I thought the bruising pictured above was bad, but after three treaments, it was crazy. Unfortunately I never took a picture of it at that stage. I've been strictly pool running and doing the elliptical the same amount of time I should be running. Ever tried pool running? It is so boring!! Especially when you've been in there for 1hr 20min. This saturday I did my 20 miler on the elliptical. I'm beginning to think I'm crazy and I don't know if this is all going to work out, but I'm still plugging away for now. I was allowed to run for 10 min on a football field and did ok, so we'll see....

Carson's First Day of 1st Grade

How did this happen? How do I have a first grader?! I have been dreading this day because our lives are now run by the school calendar. No more leisurely mornings watching cartoons on the couch, long baths playing in the tub and late breakfasts. Carson is a brave boy and did great the first day. I could tell he was nervous, which hurt me to leave him, but he did fine. I totally cried. I shed a few tears last year, but it was more so because I was excited and proud of him and I couldn't believe he was getting so big. This year I cried because I was so sad he wasn't going to be spending the bulk of his day with me and I missed my little partner. It made me realize how helpful he is at home too. He'd play with Holden, watch Stella when I needed to take a shower, and buckle holden in and out of his carseat. Holden really misses Carson and asks where he is and when he's coming home. I feel bad he doesn't have his brother to play with, and now he's taken to picking on Stella which is making my life miserable. I think these things are harder with your first because it's all so new, but everyone is adjusting and hopefully we'll find our new rhythm soon.

love this boy!

4 comments:

The Carter Family said...

Such cute boys you have Nicole!!! I can't believe Carson is in 1st grade!!! Time flies!!!

Anne Marie said...

I enjoyed reading your post. You have such good looking kids! My oldest is a 2nd grader....kids get big and it makes you happy and sad! I so understand!

Jessica said...

So who's the best sports doctor in town? I'm sorry to hear about your injury. It's no fun, and yes I've tried pool running and it so boring, but it's fun to do with someone else and have someone to talk to.

Bybee family said...

Dr. Ted Forcum at Back In Motion, it's right next to Portland Running Company by Washington Square. I've also seen Dr. Hohensee there and liked him too. If you have an injury you're working through, you should go there!