Last weekend I was outside with the kids when a PGE worker stopped by our home to warn us that there was a swarm of bees 3 houses down. The neighbor whose tree the bees decided to land in, called a beekeeper and we had over an hour of good entertainment and education. According to the beekeeper, occasionally part of a hive will split up when there's more than one queen (we all know that will never work). For some reason some of the bees choose to follow her and they try to find a new home. There were literally thousands of bees flying all around, but you could stand right next to them because they were gorged with honey and were focused on protecting the queen. Travis finds this picture really cool, but if you blow it up so you can see all the detail, it's really gross!
The beekeeper took a brush and tried to get a big group of the bees into this box. The hope was that the queen would be in this group, which would draw all the other beese into the box. She must have been in there because as you can see from this picture, they were all trying to get in. The beekeeper left the box here for several hours, and by the time he came back, all the bees were inside.
Carson is fascinated by the ants that live in the crack in our driveway. For some reason he believes he needs to feed them?!! I've tried to get him to stop, but every time I come outside he's put some of his snack out for the ants. On this particular day it was a pancake from breakfast.

Travis turned this box into a robot for Carson and he loved it! It's funny what little things will give kids entertainment for hours. He enjoyed the response he would get from people driving by, which only encouraged him.
Yes, we're officially white trash with our toilet on the front porch! Here's Travis taking a break from installing our new laminate flooring. We decided the carpet we've had for the last 7 years was officially done, so Travis ripped out the carpet, tile and old laminate flooring downstairs and put in new flooring from Costco. He's worked so hard on it, but it looks really nice and I'll post some pictures once the baseboards are done. :)
9 comments:
No way--I think George & Anthony may have seen that same swarm of bees! They were on their way out the door to get in the car when they both ran back in and said there was an enormous swarm of bees in the air behind the car...they went back out just a minute or two after and the entire swarm was gone. Crazy!
That robot box is adorable. Can't wait to see your finished floors too!
So much fun! Those bees are AWESOME! I would be a little nervous having them so close, but way cool to watch!!
What a perfect picture for your "Bybee Buzz" title!! :) You're welcome. I can't wait to see the floors too!
Well when you've got to go you've got to go. A toilet on the porch would be very convenient:)
Those bees are scary.. did Travis get stung at all?? Wow!
Emily
Okay- way back when the Taylor's lived in that neighborhood I got chased by a swarm down by their house! Scary.
Love the robot idea and the toilet seat on the front porch is classic.
Can't wait to see your floors- your floorboards will probably be done before ours and we had a 5 month head start! Grr... I bet they look amazing, I'll have to swing by and peek!
I love your porta-Potty outside the front door! Talk about great for potty training. That's classic seeing travis sitting on it. I hope some neighbors drove by and waved. Haha. Boxes are our favorite toys for the boys as well. It also amazes me how much time they'll spend playing in them.
Boxes really are the best!! I remember papa bought something and it came in a huge box, I made it into a "house" and played with it for weeks!!! haha
That is something to buzz about! :)
Man what excitment in the neighborhood! So sad we missed it!
Love that Carson feeds the ants. Ella took it upon herself to save all the snails I was trying to get out of my planters, by making a home for them in our vegetable garden!
Post a Comment