BEFORE THE RACE
The short shorts are in style again for running. Since having kids, my legs will never be able to be seen in those short shorts again!
I've been very delinquent in updating my blog! We've had a lot of fun things going on since my last post, so my goal is to get everything updated over the next few days. On June 14th Travis and I ran the Helvetia 1/2 marathon with his sister, Jill, and son Zach. They all ran this race last year, but it had been about 6 years since I had. I was a little nervous about it, so I trained a little bit better for it this time, but still probably should have trained better. Over all, I felt the race went better than last time. Miles 9-11 were rough, but with some motivating music I was able to keep a decent pace (for me) to the finish. I finished in 2hrs 3min. I know that probably sounds slow, but had I known I was close to finishing under 2 hours I would have tried to pick up the pace earlier. Next time I'll wear a watch and try to get in under 2 hours. :) Travis was doing really well until mile 9, where he said he hit a wall. He didn't eat much that morning and said he literally felt like he couldn't move, he had no more energy and felt "out of it". Lucklily a member of our ward came up to him and gave him one of his glucose packets. That helped Travis walk to the next station where he downed a bunch of glucose drinks and then he was able to run to the finish. He still finished under 2 hours, but it wasn't as fun for him as last time. Our nephew finished in 1hr 30min, which is about 6:30 min mile! Can you believe that?! I couldn't run one mile that fast, but to run all 13 at that pace is amazing to me. We were glad we did it and we were glad when it was over! I've always wanted to run a marathon, but when I was finishing up mile 13, I couldn't imagine having to do the whole thing over again! After the race we ran home to finish up packing so we could drive to Lake Shasta where we would spend the week on a houseboat with my family. By the time we made it to Shasta, 6 hours later, I could hardly walk. My knees felt like they'd been hit with a hammer! I'm getting old! I'll post pictures of our trip to Lake Shasta later.AFTER THE RACE

4 comments:
Congrats on the run! I'm still bitter you're not on our hood to coast team! I about choked when I saw your nephew's time- unbelievable!
That is awesome! Dave and I ran a 12k...(our first run ever) and we both thought we might die...I actually had to push Dave in a wheel chair that night at the airport in San Fran cus his foot hurt so bad! Way to go! That is so awesome! How fun! I don't care what you say..you have to be in great shape to do that!
wow you guys are amazing! and you aren't old! you were both up and water skiing/surfing the next day. that seems pretty young if you ask me:)
How fun for you guys. I sure wish I was that motivated! :) Fun pictures- it looks like you had a great time doing it. Congrats on some great finishing times!
Post a Comment