Friday, December 19, 2008

The Elf on the Shelf

This has been one of the best gifts ever! My parents sent us "The Elf on the Shelf" a few weeks ago, and it has been such a hit that I wish we would have had it earlier. If you're not familiar with this book, this is how it works: each family is given an elf, which they are to name. The boys named our elf Henry. The elf watches the kids throughout the day and then flies to Santa each night, to report on whether they were naughty or nice. Each morning when he returns, he hides in a different spot in the house and the kids are supposed to find him when they wake up. The book clearly states that he is not a toy and should not be played with or he will lose his magical powers. This elf has given me such leverage, that I wish we could use him all year!

This particular morning he was hiding on the dresser in Carson's room. Carson has been so cute about this. He has tons of questions, and is very careful about protecting Henry and making sure that Holden hasn't played with him, removing his magical powers. I caught him the other day somewhat annoyed saying to Henry "Come on, I know you can close your eyes. Just do it!" Another time I said that Henry didn't choose a very good hiding spot and Carson said, "Mom, he can hear you, you're going to hurt his feelings!"
Here's Henry.

2 comments:

The Carter Family said...

Isn't that the cutest!!! We love ours!! We didn't name him this year however, I figure we'll wait until next year and Camden can name him, we were going to name him 'coomba'- one of camden's new favorite 'words' haha but we decided we'd wait, it sounds like the boys think he's so cool!!!

Hillybug said...

so cute! I am ordering this ASAP for next year!