Friday, October 17, 2008

Office Pumpkin Contest

Dr. Baker's orthodontic practice (in the medical building where I work), issued a pumpkin decorating contest to all the offices in the builing. They provided the pumpkin and the only stipulation was that you could not carve it - the winner would get free lunch for their entire staff. Everyone in my office knows that I love Halloween, so they nominated me to make the pumpkin. The problem is, just because I like Halloween and decorating, does not mean that I'm creative enough to make a contest winning pumpkin. It just means I'm good at buying things (right, Travis?!) :) Thankfully I happened to catch a segment on the Today Show that gave some pumpkin decorating ideas. The crazy face was my original creation, but then I made this spider for Holden (since he's going to be a spider for Halloween), and thought it might be cuter (note both spiders have braces). Anyway, I took both pumpkins to the office to determine which one to turn in, and everyone voted for the crazy face.
I thought we might have a chance until I saw the competition. Someone had painted a mural on their pumpkin! It had a haunted house on a hill, a ghost, a field of pumpkins, and the painting had all this crazy dimension and lighting to it. They also poked a spooky tree in the top of the pumpkin and hung ornaments on it. Immediately I knew that we had lost the contest! How can you compete with that?! At least I tried...

5 comments:

Clara said...

Well I think they are adorable! I just love the crazy face one; it reminds me of when I had braces and was in that "akward" phase :)

Brittny said...

i still think that you should have won! you are so creative:)

Bybee family said...

Thanks, you guys are kind.

Unknown said...

Nicole!!! I haven't seen them yet! You did such a good job. I didn't realize that you made 2! They are both awesome. I'll have to check out the competition when I go there next. I've only seen the ones that came into the Vancouver office and yours would blow those ones out of the water! The braces are such a cute touch. Thanks for being a good sport and being the "volunteer" to design the pumpkin. :)

Kameron said...

Wow! I actually like the first one best, but they're both great. You know you'll be the official office pumpkin-decorater now, right? So you'd best starting thinking for next year!